Saturday, 15 April 2017

Me Made May (2016) dress no 3 - Art Gallery Birds

Right, as part of my Big Easter Weekend Spring Clean it is time to dust off this blog and catch up with everything I've made since I last wrote!  Which was May last year.  Eek.  I guess the fact that I'd rather spend my time making than writing about making, and, let's be honest here, Instagram making for a much quicker posting experience are responsible for the extended break.  However, I don't really want to give up on blogging so I'm going to make a concerted effort now to get this up to date and then try and add things as I make them.

First up is this dress which I made during Me Made May 2016.  It's a Simplicity 2444 and I've worn it a lot since I made it.  The fabric was lovely to sew with, and I'm definitely going to make more dresses with this pattern.

I'm not sure why the armhole facings are described as such - they're not - which is why it took me a while to find the relevant pattern piece - I was looking for a curved facing and what this actually is is a strip of bias binding.  Not sure I'd do this way again, although I like how it's turned out I think I'd prefer to cut a bodice lining than neckline facing and armhole bias binding.  I also think it would make the armholes quite bulky to follow the pattern if using a thicker (e.g. quilting) fabric.  Since this cotton is a lighter weight than that it didn't matter.
Simplicity 2444 Art Gallery Birds dress


I'm very pleased with how this turned out and it's another dress to add to my collection of bird print dresses.

2 comments:

  1. lovely dress! I've made a few with concealed bias arm hole finishing and I tend to use a different lighter weight fabric if the main fabric is heavier or stiff ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I should look at the pattern directions again, as I made it this wasn't a concealed bias strip, but wrapped round the armhole so it encased the raw edge. Using bias binding on a heavier weight fabric would be a good idea though. ☺

    ReplyDelete