Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Scandinavian birds dress

I've had this fabric for a few years now (it has 2008 on the selvedge) and just couldn't decide what to make with it - since it's 60" wide and I bought three metres of it there were lots of possibilities!  In the end it came down to - you really like it, just make it into a dress woman, look through your pattern stash for a pattern which needs 3 metres of 60" wide fabric.  And the one I settled on was McCalls 5764, from 1961.

McCalls 5764
I did make a few modifications though.  I took the centre seams out of the bodice pieces so as not to break up the print, moved the zip to the side and cut the front neckline straight, without the V cut-out.  I also cut the skirt pieces on the fold, and cut them 5.75" shorter.  I used white lawn for the facings so as not to have print showing through from the wrong side and top-stitched the neckline.  I'm really pleased with how this dress has turned out and I really like the pattern, I'll definitely make more with this one.  Not sure I'd describe it as an "instant" dress though!

Ikea green birds dress

No comments:

Post a Comment