Tuesday, 30 September 2014

Carmen Miranda

I didn't make this dress until the August bank holiday weekend and was hoping for an Indian summer during September so that I could wear it before the weather got too cold and it got put away for the winter.  This isn't a print that I would wear when it's freezing cold outside.  Well, the weather gods smiled on me and we have had some lovely sunny and really quite hot days this month and I've worn it twice.

I can't remember exactly how I came across this fabric - possibly a google search for pineapple fabric - but I bought it from The Polished Button earlier in the summer and I absolutely love it!  The bodice of this dress is Butterick 5748 and the skirt is Simplicity 2444.  I think I'd recently made the blue polka dot dress and couldn't face another circle skirt so soon so decided on a pleated one instead.  However... the bodice darts and skirt pleats don't line up with each other, which I don't think matters particularly with this fabric because it's such a busy print, but I don't think I'll use this particular pattern combo again.


Carmen Miranda dress

Despite the mismatching, I'm very pleased with this dress - the fabric is very soft and I love the colours and the print.  And it makes me smile whenever I look at it. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment